|Farm to Table Tamale Pie|
|Tamale Pie on a Bed of Herbs, Greens and Edible Flowers|
- Butter for greasing casserole
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 lb of ground turkey
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed through garlic press
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp of table salt
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of fresh corn kernels
- 1 tbsp of minced fresh oregano
- 2 ounces of shredded monterey jack cheese
- Ground black pepper
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tsp of table salt
- 1.5 cups of coarse cornmeal
- For the filling, butter 3-quart casserole. Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat and add ground turkey to cook until no longer pink (about 5 minutes). Add onion and jalapeno and cook for 3 minutes, then add garlic cayenne, chili powder, and salt, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes with juice, black beans, and corn and simmer until most of liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in oregano and season with salt (I added quite a bit of salt here) and pepper to taste.
- For the crust, bring water to boil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over high heat. Add salt and slowly pour in cornmeal while whisking vigorously. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook while whisking until cornmeal mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Spread 2/3 of cornmeal mixture on sides of buttered casserole (optional: you can also spread them on the bottom if you like). Spoon turkey mixture evenly into casserole and sprinkle with cheese. Spread remaining cornmeal mixture evenly on top of cheese, spreading it out to edges of casserole to seal filling.
- Bake for 15 minutes uncovered and serve.