I've Moved!

Hi! I've moved to www.BaconandSouffle.com. Please visit my new space and subscribe to my feed!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bacon and Eggs: Under the Tuscan Sun

As a part of the 5 Star Makeover event, I have created an Italian version of Bacon and Eggs. Traditionally a breakfast plate, bacon and eggs were popularized in various parts of the UK. A fun modern spin of bacon and eggs can be seen at The Fat Duck where Heston Blumenthal serves nitro-scrambled eggs with bacon ice cream. In my interpretation, I wanted to paint the image of a beautiful morning, using simple, fresh, and flavorful ingredients. 

Bacon and Eggs: Under the Tuscan Sun

Uova da Raviolo with a Pancetta Carpaccio, served with Italian Pesto

I prepared a Uova da Raviolo and a Pancetta Carpaccio, served with Italian Pesto.

Uova da Raviolo

Uova da Raviolo is a large single ravioli with a soft egg yolk inside. The egg yolk sits on top of a garlic ricotta cheese mixture before it is enclosed with fresh pasta sheet. The ravioli is boiled for approximately 3 to 5 minutes (when using fresh pasta sheet) and the enclosed egg stays soft. The creaminess of the ravioli mixed with the sharp flavors of pancetta carpaccio is like an explosion of flavors!
Pancetta Carpaccio

The Pancetta Carpaccio consists of thinly sliced pancetta, Lagrein cheese and cantaloupe. Lagrein cheese is an Italian alpine cheese from the Alto Adige. On average, there are only 12 cows per farm and the cheese is cured in a bath of spices, herbs, garlic, and a local red wine (Lagrein). I thought the richness of this specific cheese would accent the carpaccio well. The dish is accompanied by a traditional Italian Basil Pesto made with a mortar and pestle using fresh basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, and parmagiano-reggiano.


When I started Bacon and Soufflé about a month ago, I intended to share with you my dining experiences and fun culinary creations. More importantly, though, I wanted to seek out others who constantly inspire. Natasha from 5 Star Foodie is an amazing home chef who always inspires, adding a new spin to each one of her culinary creations. When Natasha and Lazaro from Lazaro Cooks! asked me to be a part of the 5 Star Makeover event to create my own interpretation of Bacon and Eggs, I was thrilled to accept the invitation. I hope you enjoyed my dish!

16 comments:

  1. The raviolo with the egg yolk inside sounds so wonderfully delicious and it reminds me of a dish we had in Joel Robuchon at the Mansion :) I love your Pancetta Carpaccio presentation, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh- it's like a deconstructed pasta alla carbonara! So beautiful! You're inspiring me to figure out gluten-free pasta sheets once and for all- the ravioli looks so delicious! Great recipe and presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your pancetta looks like a rose petal in the first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, a really innovative and gorgeous dish. The presentation is really spectacular and I love those ingredients.. especially intriguing is that cheese... must look it up. The dish does remind me of a sunny morning...welcome after the endless winter we are having!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, Jessica ... give me bacon and eggs any day and I'm the happiest person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inventive twist on bacon and eggs--I love the pancetta flower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that little pancetta flower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course, I'm adoring this dish. So beautiful and innovative. A very good submission to this make over party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The egg yolk encased in the ravioli definitely intrigues me! This is an absolutely beautiful dish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - I'd never heard of Uova da Raviolo before this and now I want one quite badly. Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have wanted to make a uova di ravilo for some time, and have been afraid I would make a huge mess! But looking at this dish has inspired me to try ... mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so impressed with this beautiful dish! You are so artistic and it truly is a work of art. And I bet it's every bit as delicious as it is beautiful. The Uova da Raviolo in particular is really singing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your play on bacon & eggs is amazing! The pancetta looks like a beautifully arranged work of art that should be framed. I could also imagine the exposed richness of the ravioli filling as the wrapper was broken into. *drool*

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh you knocked it out the box wit this one! I love the flower! Great edible imagery! Love it. I'm glad to meet you through participating in the round up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. the ravioli sounds fabulous, your contribution to the event is one of the prettiest!
    LL

    ReplyDelete