|Ssäm Lettuce Wraps|
|Individual Lettuce Wraps|
Ssäm Bar Lettuce Wraps
from Serious Eats
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 thinly sliced yellow onion
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1.5lb hangar, skirt or flank steak
- 2 bunches of scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup neutral oil
- 3/4 tsp of sherry vinegar
- 1 cup kimchi
- 2 large heads of bibb lettuce, leaves separated and washed
- 3 cups of cooked white rice
- In a freezer bag, combine the apple juice, 1/2 cup soy sauce, onion, garlic, and sesame oil. Add the steak and turn to coat. Marinate for 40 minutes at room temperature (or up to a 24 hours refrigerated).
- Combine the scallions, ginger, oil, sherry vinegar, and salt to taste in a bowl. Stir well to combine.
- In a small food processor, process the kimchi into a puree.
- Prepare a grill or heat a grill pan on high. Remove the steak from the marinade and grill to medium rare, 5-10 minutes depending on the thickness of the cut. For the first few minutes, baste with the marinade to infuse more flavor and glaze the exterior.
- Remove the steak to a platter and allow it to rest for a full five minutes. Slice against the grain on a 30 degree angle into 1/4-inch thick pieces.
- Serve the steak with the kimchi puree, ginger-scallion sauce, rice, and lettuce leaves for wrapping.