I've Moved!

Hi! I've moved to www.BaconandSouffle.com. Please visit my new space and subscribe to my feed!

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Finally. Spotlight on Polenta

Tonight was my very first attempt at making homemade polenta. Because of this special day, I did not want my polenta to go unnoticed like mashed potatoes when served with prime rib (who notices the mashed potatoes anyway) or rice when served with teriyaki chicken. I wanted the polenta to be memorable. 

Braised Chicken and Italian Sausage over Soft Polenta
served with Brussel Sprouts Two Ways


My logic went something like this: cheesy polenta, will go with spicy italian sausage, too much sausage will overpower polenta, how about chicken, chicken is not rich enough in flavor, how about sausage and chicken together, braised, in white wine and tomatoes, yes. As I had hoped, the polenta soaked up all the complex flavors of the braising broth and was absolutely perfect. 


My secret to making perfect polenta is the use of parmigiano-reggiano. While parmesan is the same cheese but produced outside of those original Italian cities, parmigiano-reggiano is held to much stricter aging standards. Thus, using this specific cheese gives a  sharper taste to the polenta. Try it, and you will become a believer like me. 

3 comments:

  1. Looks amazing. I've never tried a polenta....this will have to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made polenta for the first time last night, it was much easier than expected. Your dish looks amazing, I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Agreed - It's my new favorite starch for dinners.

    ReplyDelete