From Simply Recipes
- 1 tbsp of butter, softened
- 4 slices of rye bread
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese
- 1/2lb corned beef brisket, thinly sliced (get this fresh, from your local butcher or deli counter)
- 1/4lb sauerkraut
- 1/4 cup Russian Dressing
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 1/2 tsp horseradish
- 1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Butter one side of two slices of bread, and place the buttered-side down on a large piece of wax paper on a flat surface. Top each with a slice of Swiss cheese, and then divide half of the corned beef among them.
- Squeeze out as much excess moisture from the sauerkraut as you can. Divide the sauerkraut among the sandwiches, and top each with one tablespoon of Russian dressing. Add another layer of corned beef and a second slice of Swiss cheese to each sandwich. Top with the remaining bread slices; butter the side facing out.
- Heat a medium or large saute pan over medium heat. Cook the sandwiches on one side until the bread is golden brown. Use a spatula to carefully flip the sandwiches over and finish cooking on the second side. Cut the sandwiches in half before serving.