I've Moved!

Hi! I've moved to www.BaconandSouffle.com. Please visit my new space and subscribe to my feed!

Monday, January 24, 2011

New! Teriyaki Chicken Bowl

I wonder how many times I walked up to a food court vendor in a mall, feeling very indecisive about what my hunger means, and resorted to "Can I have a chicken teriyaki bowl, please?" Yup. Countless times. I do ask for brown rice when they allow substitutes, though.

As I pay for my order, I stare at a plastic round bowl being filled with a few scoops of brown rice, a few pieces of glazed teriyaki chicken strips, a small scoop of steamed broccoli, and a few slices of steamed carrots. The staff slaps on the transparent round cover, throws in a pair of chopsticks, and hands the heavy packed bowl over to me. As I stare at my teriyaki chicken bowl, I get excited about the sweet, juicy flavor of teriyaki marinated chicken while knowing that those steamed broccoli and carrot pieces will have no flavor whatsoever.


Teriyaki Chicken Bowl - teriyaki rice sandwich, broccoli pesto, and spicy carrot purée

After a great workout tonight, I was feeling motivated. I vowed to make a memorable and unique teriyaki chicken bowl full of flavor. I created a vertical teriyaki bowl with teriyaki chicken sandwiched between two stacks of brown rice. I always found it impossible to have to mix the teriyaki chicken into the center without making a mess. I made an easy teriyaki marinade and sauce with mirin, sake, soya sauce, sugar, and corn oil. The teriyaki bowl is topped with creamy broccoli pesto and served with spicy carrot purée. One bite into the dish and I knew the flavors worked perfectly together as I had imagined. Finally! No more plain teriyaki chicken bowl - until I find myself hungry at a food court again, that is.

7 comments:

  1. This is ingenious! I took one look at the picture and i thought oh my goodness why haven't people done since the beginning of time. I love it Brava amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This came out so pretty! Nice twist on a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, fancy pants! That looks awesome. I don't think I would be able to pull that off. How did you manage to keep the two layers of rice so compact? :p I know, I do the same thing at the mall. You know they gotcha once they start handing out free samples of orange chicken. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. This ia a great idea! I've done the same thing countless times ... sigh, teriyaki bowl, please. Yeah, I think this probably has a big leg up on anything we'd find at the food court ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your teriyaki bowl makeover!!! Gorgeous presentation with the stack, and so colorful with the additions of the broccoli pesto and carrot puree! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful prepared reinvention of a classic dish. The pesto really tops it off nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love making food look artistic and schmancy :)

    ReplyDelete