I've Moved!

Hi! I've moved to www.BaconandSouffle.com. Please visit my new space and subscribe to my feed!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Spiced with Salsa Ranchera + Salsa Verde

Our weekend getaway to Denver a few weeks ago has left me with lingering memories of green chiles, the very, very hot kind. Although my Mexican dinner tonight failed to match up to the same level of spiciness, it at least tasted very, very good.

I think I may have to experiment with "ghost peppers" one day, the hottest peppers on earth. Spiciness of peppers is measured in terms of Scoville units. To give you a broad idea, the Serrano Peppers I used tonight are between 10,000 - 23,000 units. Tabasco is between 30,000 - 50,000. Habanero, which I consider very hot, is between 100,000 - 350,000. Well, these "ghost peppers" exceed 1 million Scoville heat units. It was even recently offered to be used in hand grenades!



Huevos Rancheros & Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde


Anyway, back to my dinner. I made a chicken enchiladas with salsa verde sauce and huevos rancheros with salsa ranchera. I was excited to combine both types of salsa into one dish for dressed up colors and added variety, despite the fact that huevos rancheros is a traditional breakfast dish comprised of fried tortillas, fried eggs and salsa ranchera. I thought the dish turned out both refreshing and satisfying, all thanks to my green chiles craving!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, traditional or not, those look outstanding! And salsa verde with Hatch chilis (which, to my chagrin, are not in season) is one of the greatest salsas on God's green earth.

    As for the Ghost Peppers ... look, I'm no stranger to spicy food; in fact, I'm a spicy food aficionado. But that's hardcore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome is this recipe? I found your link at Rosy + Tart...Im a fellow 10-5 er, lol....following your blog now:)

    ReplyDelete