I've Moved!

Hi! I've moved to www.BaconandSouffle.com. Please visit my new space and subscribe to my feed!

Thursday, October 27, 2011

A New Grilled Cheese: Cremini-Filled Cheese Brioche

This month's 5 Star Makeover theme is Tailgate Party: thanks to hosts 5 Star Foodie and Lazaro Cooks! At a Tailgate Party, burgers are pretty typical, but not when you make them like this! Enjoy.

Cremini-Filled Grilled Cheese Brioche

Cremini-Filled Grilled Cheese Brioche
From Harvest to Heat: Cooking with America's Best Chefs, Farmers, and Artisans
Serves 4
Ingredients
  • 4lbs of fresh cremini mushrooms
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 shallots, minced
  • 1 large clove garlic
  • coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp of soy sauce
  • 8 1/4inch slices of brioche
  • 8 thin slices of Gruyere cheese
  • 2 tbsp of unsalted butter
Recipe
  1. Chop mushrooms in food processor (finely chopped) and transfer them to saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until juices are released. Bring liquid to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
  2. Drain mushrooms in a strainer over a large bowl to catch strained liquid and let mushrooms cool slightly. You will have about 2 cups of mushroom puree and 5 cups of mushroom juice. Don't worry if you have less, you will only need about 1 cup of puree.
  3. Combine 1 cup of mushroom juice, 3/4 cup of heavy cream, and shallots in a medium saucepan. Mince garlic into the pan. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by about half to slightly more than 1 cup, about 5 minutes. Put 3/4 cup of mushroom puree in a small bowl. Stir 6 tbsp of reduced juice mixture into the puree. Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Bring remaining mushroom juice to a simmer in a medium saucepan for 15 minutes. Add remaining 1/4 cup of heavy cream and soy sauce. Simmer for 5 more minutes and reduce heat to low to keep warm for serving.
  5. Lay 4 slices of brioche and trim slices of cheese to fit the bread. Place 1 slice of cheese on each of the 4 slices of bread. Spread sandwich filling on top of cheese. Place another slice of cheese over filling and cover with another slice of bread.
  6. Melt butter in a small saucepan and brush it on both sides of the sandwiches. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When pan is hot, add the sandwiches and brown on both sides. Work in batches if necessary.
  7. Pour warm dipping sauce into 4 small bowls. Serve sandwiches with dipping sauce on the side. 
Here are some of my other Harvest to Heat recipes:
Burrata with Speck, Peas, and Mint
Tacos with Greens and Seared Onions


Harvest to Heat: Cooking with America's Best Chefs, Farmers, and Artisans

12 comments:

  1. There's this gourmet grilled cheese restaurant near my work and I must say, this sandwich looks better than anything I've tried there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A scrumptious appetizer with brioche, cremini and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to place an order for one of these...for breakfast every day from now on! Looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a mushroom fiend and the fact that you paired them with brioche and Gruyere makes this even more irresistible! I think this would be the only grilled cheese I want to eat ever again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like having all of my favorite ingredients from stuffed mushrooms sandwiched between layers of brioche!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it may not be a burger, but it's pretty awesome comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessica,

    Fantastic. Love it. I'd love to have these at my next party.

    Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! I think it is a great switch up from the average burger. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cheesy mushrooms and your sandwiches sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i LOVE brioche. ate them every day for breakfast when i was in france....hahaha. (my pre-vegan days!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow very fancy looking but very simple ingredients! I've never tried cremini mushrooms and I'm very curious to try. I learn a lot of new ingredients from you blog! How exciting. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look so rich and delicious.
    I love the Harvest to Heat cookbook, have made several dishes from it.
    Great contribution to the Cooking Club!
    LL

    ReplyDelete