|Perfect Prime Rib|
I chose to prepare a standing rib roast for our Christmas Eve dinner this year. It is a classic holiday dish that takes a total of 5 minutes to prepare (excluding roasting time). It was the perfect choice simply because it turned out perfect.
|Standing Rib Roast, right out of the oven|
Standing Rib Roast
Adapted from Food Network
- 1 2-rib (about 5 lbs) standing rib roast (see step 1)
- 1/2 cup sea salt
- 1/8 cup black pepper
- 1/8 cup garlic powder
- 1 tbsp of flour
- 1 cup of beef stock
- salt and pepper to taste, for gravy
- Call the butcher ahead of time and order your standing rib roast. 1 rib feeds about 2 people with about 10-12oz of prime rib each. I would get a 2-rib roast that is about 5 pounds for 4 people. The butcher will probably ask if you want USDA Choice or USDA Prime. USDA prime easily costs 50% to 100% more, but is much more marbled (more fat) and will taste more tender. However, the USDA Choice is just fine, in my opinion, and I used it here. Ask them to prepare it by cutting the bones away from the meat and then tying them back with a kitchen string. If they don't know how, see Simply Recipes for a photo explanation. This is to facilitate the carving of the rib roast later on.
- Let your rib roast stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Rub roast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Place roast on a rack in the pan with the rib side down and the fatty side up. Roast for 1 hour.
- Turn off oven. Leave roast in oven for 2 hours without opening oven door. Turn the oven back to 375F and roast for 30 minutes to reheat. Do not open oven door until the roast is done. Remove from oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before cutting.
- While the roast is resting, pour the juice from pan into a small saucepan. Heat over medium high heat. Add flour and stir until gravy is smooth. Add 1 cup of beef stock and whisk to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice prime rib and serve with gravy on top or on the side. I also prepared sweet potatoes and mac and cheese sides. It really was just perfect.