|Chinese Margherita Pizza|
|Chinese Margherita Pizza served with a Mozzarella, Carrot, and Arugula "stirfry"|
makes 12 buns
Outer Pastry Layer
- 1.5 tbsp of butter
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of cold water
- 1 cup of cake flour
- 4 tbsp of butter
- 1 tomato, juice drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup of basil leaves
- a handful of toasted pine nuts
- 1 tbsp of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 oz of mozzarella cheese, cut into 1" x 2" rectangles
- 1 egg, beaten
- Oregano, sea salt, and pepper for topping
- Mix outer layer ingredients and roll it into a dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Mix inner layer ingredients and roll it into a dough.
- Separate dough for each of the two layers into 12 balls. You now have 12 outer layer balls and 12 inner layer balls.
- Roll an outer layer dough ball into a flat circle, envelope the inner layer ball and wrap the outer layer around it. Use a rolling pin and roll the combined dough ball into a flat oval shape. From the short side, roll it up and have the opening face downward on a surface. Let it rest for 15 minutes. Repeat this for all dough balls.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Flatten the rolls with rolling pin. Then, roll the flat dough up again into a roll. Roll it out into a flat circle. Repeat this for all dough balls.
- Puree basil, cheddar cheese, pine nuts, garlic, butter in a food processor and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- On the flat dough circle, put a small piece of tomato, a small piece of mozzarella, and some basil mixture. Enclose the dough around the filling and shape it into a round ball. Brush with egg mixture and sprinkle dough ball with oregano, salt and pepper. Bake the 12 dough balls for about 25-30 minutes until top is golden brown.