I've Moved!

Hi! I've moved to www.BaconandSouffle.com. Please visit my new space and subscribe to my feed!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Quesadilla

I had the most amazing tasting quesadillas in Playa Del Carmen. Unlike the quesadillas I was used to, usually consisting of a flat tortilla + melted cheese + some sort of meat + additions like guacamole/sour cream, the quesadilla I had actually resembled a soft taco with flavorful shredded beef and oaxaca cheese inside. The quesadilla is then topped with sour cream, shredded lettuce, and some more crumbled oaxaca cheese. Oh, did I mention that it was blue corn tortillas? I never thought a quesadilla could taste so filling, yet light and refreshing.

Quesadilla with shredded beef brisket, cotija cheese, whipped sour cream, cilantro, and pickled onions
To satisfy my craving for that experience, I decided to replicate the quesadilla. I used a basil tomato tortilla here, along with shredded beef brisket that has been roasted in the oven for 2.5 hours. I couldn't find oaxaca cheese in the local grocery stores so I used cotija cheese instead, which was perfect for the dish because of its sharper, saltier taste. The onion was pickled in Mexican seasoning, water, and vinegar. Finally, I added some whipped sour cream and chopped cilantro to complete the quesadilla. I would definitely trade the usual quesadilla for this version any day!

6 comments:

  1. Love the presentation of this! Definitely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this reinvented quesadilla, so gorgeous! And sounds absolutely divine with the shredded beef brisket, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could imagine how tender that beef brisket must have been. The pickled onions sound good (coming from someone who doesn't normally eat them) and a great addition to the other bold color profiles in this dish. I love the composition and depth of focus here as well; very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, what a neat quesadilla presentation.
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jess,

    I'm going to Cabo again in two weeks and I can't wait to have their delicious quesadillas. I find myself craving all their foods there -- so much lighter and flavorful than American interpretations, in my opinion. Your creation, however, is delicate and stunning! Wouldn't expect anything less. :p

    ReplyDelete